Saturday, February 9, 2013

Loving Yourself

In Biggest Winners, February has been named the month of Self-Love. For me I have been on a journey of self-love for the last year, creating what my life is for and reminding myself daily that I am worth the effort. That's really what self-love is about to me, putting yourself first, taking care of what matters so that you can be there for others. So often in this society we get caught up on what other people need or what other people think and that impacts how we live our lives. What if right now you chose to let that go? What if from this moment on you chose to follow your own heart and let go of what other people think of you or what your choices are? What would be possible for you? To be honest I didn't really see this before, I didn't see how letting that go could do anything for me. But in practicing this, practicing not letting other's opinions negatively impact me, I have come to a place where I can honestly say I let it go. Sure I still see the opinions and hear them, people are going to talk about you - it's inevitable, especially when you are going against the norm. But who does that really impact? Who does that reflect on? Not you, not if you are really living your life the way that matters to you and taking care of yourself.

So I challenge you, just for one day, notice when those thoughts come into your head that are stopping you from doing what you want. Is that thought stopping you because you are worried about external opinions? If so, the challenge is to do it anyway! Maybe this means sharing your opinion on something that could be outside of what the conversation is, or maybe just speaking up for yourself and what you need. Some people may confuse this with being selfish, but it's not, this is about ensuring you are being the best version of you that you can be. So if what you need today is to take a bath or read a book but your kids are screeming at you and your spouse needsyour attention what do you do? I'm not saying walk away and take a bath, talk to your kids talk to your spouse work out what's going on and say "What I need is to make time today for a bath, I'm going to do this at X time today". All you're doing is scheduling in your YOU time, nothing wrong with that. Your spouse and your kids need you in that moment, that's fine, and in that moment you also need to say what you are commiting to later in the day. Everyone gets what they want. Really whatever this looks like in your life this is the challenge, take on making yourself a priority. Whose in? What are you going to do today to love yourself?

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." Margaret Thatcher

No comments: