Friday, October 5, 2012

And the female winner is...

Can't let another month go without an amazing success story. Our most recent session of Biggest Winners ended a couple weeks ago. Because we have a growing number of male participants this last session there were two official winners. Jim and Rebecca. Congratulations to both amazing participants for their fantastic results, couldn't be more proud. They both look amazing. Today's post is dedicated to Rebecca and her journey of the up and downs of weight loss, check out her own inspiring words.

This is Rebecca before...




What was your heaviest weight?
Short Version: 272 pounds, the day my twins were born, That doesn't count, right? :)
Long Version: In 2007, after four years of trying to get pregnant, I was 248 lbs and when we had to seek help to get pregnant, it was strongly recommended I lose weight first (not really a surprise!). I lost 42 pounds and was 206 before getting pregnant in 2008. Then came the 272 pounds! However, I lost 50 pounds within two weeks of the babies' birth (let's just say I had a lot of water retention!). That was fun! In 2010, my BFF convinced me to join BDHQ (she not only bought me a gift certificate, she went with me to every workout!). When I was finally getting exercise, I went down to 188! This was better than my wedding weight in 2002! Then I injured myself running and then went back to work full time ...which led me to start BWs this July at 224. I am now 196 lbs.


What is your goal weight?
I'm not sure but I am looking forward to surpassing 188 (my lowest weight in 11 years). Then I look forward to surpassing 165 (which was the weight I was after Jenny Craig in 1999 but that didn't last long) and then I can't wait to be 155 (my weight when I started university in 1992). And anything past that will be a miracle - and really, really exciting!!

How long have you struggled with weight?
I've always considered myself a little chubby, but the real battle began when I stopped dancing at age 16.

What made you decide to join Biggest Winners?
Going back to work full-time after 2 1/2 years at home with my twins was way harder than I thought it was going to be! It was so overwhelmingly busy and exhausting... I gained 23 pounds in 10 months. I knew I was headed back to where I started from and I was scared. I was hoping to get myself back on track during the summer.

Then my best friend was diagnosed with breast cancer. To put it mildly, Life's had a shake up here. She has always been an inspiration to me - in many ways! I wanted to get healthy even more than before - to show my friend I appreciated her support all this time and that it wasn't a waste, and, now more than ever, for my family. I always, always, always went to BDHQ with my bud - never by myself. It was our social time - and I am so grateful to her for getting me started and keeping me company there! I knew that while she was unable to go, I was unlikely to go without her. I needed another reason to go.


What is the biggest non physical change you notice?
My determination and motivation! There is no question in my mind that I am going to show up for the next BW workout. I don't feel it's a choice. I don't even try to make up an excuse to allow myself to stay home. Joining BWs was like flipping a switch - all of a sudden, I was actually doing things I hadn't made time for all year - following a healthy eating plan, drinking 3 litres of water, getting more sleep, and working out!

What is the biggest physical change?
The legs and butt in my work pants are huge and ballooning around me! The waist is loose....but not loose enough yet.....

How do you involve your family in your weight loss journey? are they supportive?
I really want my family to be active together. I want my children to be healthy and happy - now and forever! I want us to hike together, bike together, enjoy life together! I desperately want to be a good role model for them. My kids are very supportive - even if they aren't conscious of it. When my daughter fell off the couch and was crying one night as I was attempting to leave for BWs, when I stayed home with her, she worried, "How will you get healthy if you don't go to the gym?" After seeing me write in my BW book so often, they will bring it to me sometimes after meal to remind me to fill it out. It was also inspiring to be compared with runners my kids saw on the street - "Look, Mommy, they are runners too - like you!". I love that my kids see me as a runner. When we finished this last session, my goal was to get my hubby to join BWs with me some day. He is starting this next session with me! I am excited for him to join me on this journey. I'm hoping I can show him the same support he has shown me.

What is your proudest moment in the last twelve weeks?
Losing weight while on vacation. I've never done that before! We were in Oregon for 8 days - I lost weight. We went camping up island for eight days - I lost weight!


And here is Rebecca NOW...

She looks absolutely fabulous. Every time I see her in the gym, even at 6AM, she is full of smiles. I'm blessed to be able to check in with her every day over email and get a little boost of my own. Rebecca I am so proud, as is everyone else in your life, of everything you are doing to be a healthier Mom, wife and friend. Can't wait to see what you look like after another 12 weeks.

No comments: