Tuesday, October 25, 2011

I'm not PEOPLE worthy but still worthy

A couple months ago I submitted my story online to be considered for use in the January issue of People Magazine, yes THE People Magazine. It was a long shot, but I figured why not. I was delighted, but surprised at the same time to receive an e-mail a month later from the PR company who works with People Magazine, they had shortlisted my story for consideration but needed some more information and photos. Of coarse this was super exciting news, the thought of maybe being featured in a national publication that millions of people would read and the ability to hopefully inspire someone else to make the change that I have. I needed photos FAST and reached out to Nicki to help. In literally an hour she had arranged a photographer, shoes and had set up a mini-photo shoot for me. I told her i'd bring her to New York when they chose me for the cover which I think contributed to her speed in organizing. We went through my closet, found a dress that had been given to me by a fellow Biggest Winner that had never fit me before and now it did. The shoe situation was a little more dire, for those who know me you know that i'm probably one of the most low maintenance woman you know, I don't wear makeup, I don't own fancy shoes or jewelry and I wash my hear and wear it. This obviously wouldn't do for a People Magazine photo shoot, so a call out to the Biggest Winner group resulting in some "scary" shoes being donated for use - any form of heal for me is scary. Wide feet and fancy shoes generally don't work well together, these shoes were so painful but apparently that's the price you have to pay for beauty, so i'm told.

Here are a couple of the photos taken by Mary Jane of Mary Jane Howland Photography



Please visit Mary Jane's website at www.maryjanescamera.ca she does some amazing work, you can also "like" her on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/maryjanescamera.

Doing this photo shoot was both fun but outside of my comfort zone. I'm not used to being the center of attention, but that's what this was all about. She made me feel comfortable and relaxed and Nicki was also there lending a hand. I have to say the photos turned out amazing.

I sent the photos off to the PR rep who then told me I would have to wait another month to find out if I was going to be selected for the "Half My Size" issue. Unfortunately, I found out the other day, that I came very close but was not chosen. Even though I wasn't worthy for the cover of People Magazine, that doesn't take away from what I've accomplished, I know that. I also didn't allow myself to get overly excited about this because I didn't want to be disappointed in the event I didn't get chosen, which worked out well in this case. I'm totally fine with it, obviously still a bit disappointing, but okay with it, their loss right? I was told that they MAY still use my story at some point in time in another context, but at this point I'm not going to be obtaining fame.

No comments: