Saturday, September 10, 2011

How do you define being healthy?

It was a busy, long week this week. I started my class at Camosun on Wednesday. I was by far one of the oldest people in that class, it was quite strange. I got there early and picked a seat and just watched high school play out again, but this time it was quite funny since I didn't really care about what anyone thought this time. I think most of the people in the class had been in high school together and just graduated. I'm looking forward to getting into the class and getting into a routine which will happen this week. But sitting in that class at having high school flash backs got me thinking about everything I've done over the last three years. I know I am proud of myself, but then I still have a hard time reconciling my outer appearance with my inner appearance. What I mean by this is, I see pictures of myself and think "wow i'm so small now" but I see myself in the mirror and I think "you still have a long way to go". So how do I be okay who I am now and reconcile this in my head? The bigger question is how do I define being healthy?

On Thursday I went to the doctor to get my test results from my latest blood work and asthma test. He confirmed for me that yes I do have asthma, but there is nothing that can be done about it I just have to manage exactly how I have been. He told me I have awesome cholesterol levels at 1.8, with ideal being 3. He confirmed for me that I do not have the hereditary blood clotting disorder that I was concerned about which could have been giving us issues conceiving. He has now given us the referral to the fertility doctor but also reassured me that everything is normal. I felt good going out of there and feeling like everything was taken care of which allows me to just focus back in on training and losing the last of my weight.

So back to the question, how do I define being healthy when I still feel like my body isn't where I want it to be?

#1: I recognize that I have amazing cardio endurance, I can run for 18KM, I will run a 1/2 marathon, I can do double classes.
#2: I make healthy choices and recognize why it is important to do so
#3: I can recover fast, even when i'm working through asthma
#4: I would rather be outside, being active, then being inside all day

All these things I can do are my definition of being healthy, regardless of how I feel about where I am at on the scale, I know the bottom line is that I am healthy. So ask yourself, how do you define healthy? Regardless of if you are at the beginning or end of your journey the fact that you are on a journey defines the fact that you are choosing to be healthy and that is something to be proud of.

No comments: