Sunday, April 24, 2011

Recognizing Achievements

How many days to do just live our life and forget to be grateful for what we have and what we have accomplished? Sometimes it is hard to remember to celebrate those achievements when we are working towards a big goal. I am fully guilty of that - I admit it. I lost 3 lbs this week, 1/2 of the weight I gained in Vegas, and the first thing that came to my head was "that's not enough". Then I reminded myself that 3 lbs is lots and 3 lbs next week will mean i'm right back on track. I reminded myself that this is a process, and it will take time. I had a great week of workouts and on track with my food, my only guilty was giving into an easter chocolate at work. I am proud of 3 lbs, I am happy with that number, but that thought still goes through your head. Its about changing your inner dialog to recognize that regardless of what the scale says it is about how do you feel. Did you put in 100%? Did you eat clean? Did you get your water? if you did everything you were supposed to do then be proud, if you didn't then you know what to change. Losing weight is about being consistent and focused, and it doesn't happen overnight.

Losing weight is also about recognizing your achievements that have absolutely nothing to do with the number on the scale. Today we did side planks in class and only a month ago I couldn't hold a side plank for 30 seconds. Today I held a side plank on both sides for the full 30 seconds without dropping. That is an achievement that has nothing to do with the scale. What did you achieve this week? or this month? Write down your achievements and reflect on them, it will allow you to recognize how strong you are getting.

In 2011 I have achieved..
-Holding a side plank on both sides for 30 seconds
-Improving my 10K run time
-Fitting into clothes that didn't fit me a month ago
-Feeling good about my body in more revealing clothes

Remember, this is not a race with anyone, you are only competing with yourself to get stronger, faster and more confident every day. Recognize your little achievements and celebrate your milestones.

"Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold." - Maurice Setter

No comments: