Thursday, March 17, 2011

I have given up

I HAVE GIVEN UP...No I don't mean that I am stopping or that I am not going to continue to my goal of losing 200 lbs because I will get there. What i'm talking about is the things that I realize I have given up since starting this journey. I often get asked if it's hard to be deprived of things but honestly I don't feel deprived at all, I feel like I have a full life. I have wonderful friends and family who support me and am present in my life now. I am in control of me and look forward to what each day brings.

But what have I given up?

*I have given up letting food control my life. I eat to live instead of live to eat
*I have given up being intimidated of going to the doctor because i'm scared of negative news
*I have given up 8 dress sizes
*I have given up 164 pounds of excess fat
*I have given up being afraid that I can't fit into the seat on the airplane or the ride at the fair
*I have given up processed foods, white sugar and white flour and found a way of eating that is satisfying and enables me to not count calories
*I have given up feeling like exercise is a punishment
*I have given up feeling like I am the only one going through this, I have a support network
*I have given up making excuses about why I can't do this

So what have I really given up? NOTHING! I have really just exchanged those negative things for a hundred times that in positive experiences, people and beliefs in my life. I am so blessed to have supportive people in my life. I am grateful that I have the perseverance and dedication to continue because it has just proved to me that I can do this, even if it takes longer than I had hoped. This didn't happen overnight, this realization took years of persistence, and it is an ongoing struggle. Small changes and small steps got me here along with a commitment to me to change my life.

The biggest lesson is as long as I keep going and stay motivated to reach my goal I will get there. Even when I reach my weight loss goal, that is not the end, I must continue to revise and refine my goals to become stronger and stronger.

Greatness is not where we stand, but in what direction we are moving. We must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it but sail we must, and not drift, nor lie at anchor
Oliver Wendall Holmes