Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Dear 17 Year Old Me

Dear Brianna,



It’s me, me from 10 years in the future. I know you are thinking I’m some loony – how could I be writing to you from your future? But just go with me here and listen.

I know you hate who you are, I know that you feel lost and alone but trust me it gets better. I know ten years seems like a long time away but I’m here and I’m telling you that it does get better. Cherish your friendships and stay close to those who care about you. Don’t be afraid to be open and honest, jump into new opportunities with open arms. I promise it’s not as scary as you think it is. I promise not everyone is staring at you. I promise, those people who laugh at you behind your back mean nothing, 10 years from now you will look back and know that what they think does not matter.

Be confident; know that you are beautiful no matter what and that you can do anything you set your mind to. Don’t sell yourself short, don’t allow anyone to take advantage of you or your body just for the sake of feeling loved. You will find love, you will marry and you will be happy I promise.

One day you will make the choice to become healthy and you will go through an amazing transformation. All I can tell you is to please trust that you can do it. Please do it NOW, do not wait. You will find happiness in being healthy. You will meet amazing friends you will help others meet goals just like you. You will feel beautiful and sexy and get those looks you’ve always wanted.

Be kind to your body, be gentle with yourself. Tell yourself every day “I am beautiful, I am worth it and I will be successful”. In 10 years when you catch up to me you will be a brand new person. You will run distances you never thought were possible, you will climb mountains, you will feel normal. Above all remember it gets better you just have to stick it out.

Love your 27 year old self.

4 comments:

Shawna said...

Wow Bri! This brought a tear to my eye!

BriannaW said...

Thanks Shawna :)

Tonia said...

Awesome post - you are lovely inside and out!

Briana said...

I don't know how I found this, but I am seventeen and my name is Briana... kind of ironic huh?