Sunday, January 23, 2011

Kitchen creations

I have been very good these past few weeks with prepping all my meals for the week on Sunday so that i'm not rushed for dinner or lunches. I had made so much food last week and had some stuff my Mom gave me to try that I really didn't even need to do anything this Sunday, in fact that was my plan. My plan was I was going to work out this morning, go to Re-Bar for my weekly breakfast, come home and do NOTHING. But as I sat on my couch catching up on my PVR and relaxing I was reading all these yummy meals that my fellow Biggest Winner participants were prepping for their week. Inspiration came to me!

I knew I had some veggies in the fridge that were going to go bad in a few days so I chopped them all up, chopped enough for lunches for John and me for Monday and Tuesday and then the rest I was going to cook a big pot of something. Pretty much this is a "whatever I have in my fridge" meal. I had some whole wheat beef tortellini, the veggies and some falafels. I also threw in the rest of a bag of frozen veggies, 6 bean medley, kidney beans and tomato sauce. This was the result...

The tortellini package was 6 servings but the result is about 12 servings of food.

Then I wanted to try this recipe for Flax Bread, mostly again because I actually had all the ingredients.

2 cups ground/milled flax seed
5 egg whites
2 whole eggs
5 tbsps olive oil
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 c water
1 tbsp stevia
Optional: Add 1 tbsp of flavor (vanilla or any other flavor/cocoa powder/whatever you like, or just keep plain)
Preheat oven to 350.
Mix all dry ingredients together, then slowly add wet ingredients. Whisk everything together well.
Bake for about 30 minutes. May take longer, will come out looking 'not done', but let cool and it will come together. Make sure to keep the remaining bread in fridge, keeps better this way.

Can't say at this point how it tastes, it's still cooling, but it looks yummy and would be good with maybe some hummus on it.

And the third creation....



Fruit Muffins, by Tosca

Ingredients:

1 cup quick cooking oats
1 cup plain rice or almond milk
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup ground flax seed
1 teaspoon each baking powder and soda
1/2 teaspoon each cloves, cinnamon and allspice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
pinch sea salt
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
4 egg whites beaten until foamy but not stiff
1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2 large bananas)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 cup blueberries
1 large apple cut into pieces

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Line muffin tin with parchment paper liners
3. Place oats in medium prep bowl and pour milk over. Mix and let stand while you make the rest of the recipe.
4. In another medium prep bowl combine flour, ground flax seed, spices, baking powder and soda, lemon zest and salt. Mix well until all ingredients are evenly distributed. Set aside.
5. Put egg whites in mixing bowl and beat until fluffy but not stiff.
6. In small prep bowl mash bananas and add chopped apple. Mix well.
7. In large prep bowl combine flour, soaked oats, egg whites and banana mixture. Add blueberries. Fold until all ingredients are just blended.
8. Spoon into prepared muffin tin.
9. Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown on top.

The recipe says it makes 12 muffins but I was able to get 16 out of it and I already tried one, SOOOOO Good - this is a repeat for sure and it will be my breaky for the rest of the week, a muffin and some fat free greek yogurt.

So now my freezer is going to be stuffed full, but good, that allows me to focus on what's important - my workouts.

No comments: